Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sad News

I received some bad news from Archduke Piccolo (Ion Dowman) via The Oddfellows Lounge a week or so ago regarding Barry Taylor of Herzogtum von Rechburg and Vales of Lyndhurst fame,
Unfortunately, it looks as though the Vales of Lyndhurst narrative will never be finished. Its author, Barry Taylor passed away about a fortnight ago. Although Barry and I have been acquainted for five or six years, now, I never knew him all that well, and that only through wargaming. I rather regret that. Even before then his health had been indifferent on and off, and this year opened badly for him. Just when he seemed to be coming right, he was again struck down, but this time the cancer was terminal. Although he thought he might improve enough to receive visitors, as I understand it, he never quite managed it. I'll miss him, and I'll miss his projects. Good-bye, Barry...
I found Barry's enthusiasm for imagineering and story telling compelling and I echo Ion's words, I too will miss his projects, particularly the story telling, and the spirit with which he approached them.


I'm sure he is standing around that 6' x 4' in the sky keeping an eye on us, rest easy Barry.

Regards
Dave

10 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Sad news indeed sir.

For those who are interested here are the links to those blogs:

http://rechburg.blogspot.ca/

valesoflyndhurst.blogspot.ca/


-- Jeff

A J said...

I'm sorry for his passing.

Jacko said...

Yes it was sad news indeed. Like the Archduke I have gamed with Barry over the the last 4 or 5 years and it has been great fun.

He was always welcoming, happy to run campaigns and had a vivid imagination. It was also a privilage to play some of the games for Rechburg over the years.

Cheerio.

abdul666 said...

Very sad news indeed.

Daisy Gowan Ditchburn said...

it is some very sad news indeed. his blogs were excellent, and I always enjoyed having a good read of them. all I can hope is that their not shut down so others can read what he created... is there anyway of putting a legacy post up on the blogs?

Bluebear Jeff said...

I think that they will stay up until someone with his password to them deletes his account.

I posted the links in the first comment.


-- Jeff

tradgardmastare said...

Sad news indeed.
I do like the idea of the blogs remaining up as a memorial to the person's life and creativity.How fitting I feel.

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your kind comments about the blog. I do not know anyone who had the passowrds and he did not leave them with me. He will be sadly missed by his "wife" lynne and his 4 children. thanks again guys
the legal wife sandra

Anonymous said...

Barry first set me off on the hobby of wargaming back in the 1970s in Christchurch, NZ. He and his mate Dave Crawford put an add in the city newspaper seeking people interested in setting up a club. I was the spotty school-boy who turned up at Barry's house with a hastily-assembled WW2 Dutch marines army converted out of Airfix Americans. And that was the start of my adventures in this wonderful hobby. So thank you for that, Barry ...

Earthbutterfly said...

Where ever he is, may he be shot down and driven over for the lies, the hurt and the hidden sins, best wishes to his wife Sandra.