Tuesday, October 2, 2007

An Interesting Turn of Events...

Alas, Dear Sirs, It has come to my attention that the vile Regent of equally vile Stagonia has been busy infiltrating agents provacateur not only into Georg Simpert's State of Baden-Baden, who I am sworn to help in time of need, but has penetrated the idyllic realm of M'Uedail as well. This state of affairs is quite unacceptable, unless of course his agents are seeking better employment opportunities, which I must admit, do abound in our quiet little Duchy.
XXXXX
Not yet having my Army mobilized, and ever wary of putting even such veterans as I have into the field under new commanders with little or no time for proper drill, I was going to call on one of my Patrons for assistance. However, my Adjutant, the ever-inventive young Mr. G.B. Shaw, advised me that he had foreseen such a situation arising, and not wishing to trouble me with what he believed to be a minor matter, had already taken steps to address this offense by contacting Don Carlo "Lucky" Luciano. It seems that My "Italian" Brigade Commander has a network of odd acquaintances and associates throughout Greater Europa (many of whom I'm told have strangely mis-shapen noses and large knuckles). It seems that wherever these associates of the genial Don Carlo happen to visit, strange "events" occur. I have been told that there have been mysterious warehouse and palace fires, entire families (and their relatives in some cases) disappearing with nary a trace, and even strange events involving racing steeds and bedchambers (I'm told that this particular tale is attributed to Don Vito Corleone, who I assume heard it in idle gossip).
XXXXX
What is even more mysterious is that I have been told that wherever Don Luciano directs his personal attention, entire Trade Guilds will suddenly contract strange maladies that prevent them from working. I'm told that this seems to effect wagon drivers (who Don Carlo refers to as "Teamsters") and dock-workers (who Don Carlo refers to as "Longshoremen") primarily. I'm not one to generally believe in peasant superstitions, but I am descended of the gaellic, and through them, the picts and druids that occupied my homeland in the time before our history. Therefore, I can only assume that some "dark hand" must surely follow Don Carlo and his "associates".
XXXX
I will have to discuss these strange rumors with Don Carlo at my earliest opportunity, as I would hate for some mysterious malady or accident to befall the Regent of Stagonia or those that serve him, or are related to him, or that he rides, or any of his properties. I have never met the man, but I bear no ill will toward any man without just cause. I have had one conversation with Don Carlo about his somewhat "checkered" reputation, and he assured me that it was completely unfounded, that he simply "did small favors for people who, in their own turn, did similar small favors for him." This certainly seems harmless and nonthreatening to me. And, when I asked "Lucky Charlie", as he insists that I call him when in the Mess, if he believed that anything "unusual" might ever befall one of my antagonists, he simply smiled and made that "odd" gesture that young Shaw described, that of touching the end of his nose with his pointing finger and bending the nose slightly. I will say this though, I have never seen a smile that chilled my blood so completely, unless it was in the eyes of a dead sea shark that I chanced to see on one of my visits to the coastal areas. His subordinates, to a man, all shared a similar smile, and I did overhear that young Cavalry Major, Don Pacino, make a comment to Colonel di Niro about, "Making them an offer they can't refuse!" I must admit here, Dear Reader, that I find the Southern Italian customs to be very strange and different from the hearty, open warmth of the Northern Italians whom I have met in Milan and Saronno. Yet I can tell these are men with a purpose, and loyal to a fault, at least to each other and Don Carlo. I trust that their loyalty will transfer itself to me in time, but it does bear watching.
XXXX
In the meantime, I enjoin the Regent of Stagonia, at his pleasure of course, to reconsider any foolish enterprises that he might be associated with, as I would hate to hear of any misfortune that further disrupted the "harmony" that usually exists to our North. And, though I do hate to be the bearer of unpleasant tidings, I must also advise the Regent that Shaw has informed me that at least two of the Stagonian provacateurs have apparently lost their way in the dark, no doubt unfamiliar with our territory, and drowned in the cold waters of the Rhine. I graciously request that the Regent pass my condolence's to their families and advise either myself or Mr. Shaw if there are any special requests regarding their internment. The Duchy of M'Uedail will, as a matter of courtesy of course, gladly handle these arrangements.
XXXX
Respectfully, Sir William of M'Uedail

1 comment:

Stagonian Jeff said...

"Koenig Maurice, Operation Pinched Threads is a partial success."

"What do you mean 'partial success'?"

We've managed to intercept some of the wagons . . . but not all."

"Well, some is better than none. See that they're sold quickly."

"Yes, Your Majesty".